Thursday, July 11, 2013

Egypt and US Aid

-->
First off let me apologize for being away for so long. I recently relocated to Florida from southern California due to a new job. I am so happy to be free of California politics and crazy taxes. However, I arrive in Florida in the middle of the farce/circus that is the George Zimmerman trial (kill me now).

Since my last post, there have been many different topics that I would have liked to weigh in on. Topics such as the NSA spy program and everything that goes along with Snowden from weather he committed treason or should be protected under the Whistle Blower Protection Act. To his seek for asylum with some of the US’s biggest threats in the world.

What will be the new face of Egypt?
The one event that I want to talk about today is the recent unrest in Egypt and what the US policy should be in response to the military coup (if that is what we are going to call it).  Let me first look at what we are going to call the uprising of the last few weeks. Does it parallel the Arab Spring movement, which was touted as the introduction of democracy to the Middle East, or is it just another run of the mill military coup? I believe that it is the latter and not the former. The military complex removed the leader of the country who was properly elected by the citizens of that country and that in my opinion is a coup. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not a fan of Morsi or the Muslim Brotherhood nor do I believe that the he was a good President or was he leading Egypt down the right path. In fact I believe most Egyptians are currently in a worse economical state than they were in the beginning and eventually this coup may lead to a better life for Egyptians, however a coup is not the way to go about removing people from power. There was an impeachment clause built into the Egyptian constitution and that is how this should have been played out. Gain the support of the legislature and properly remove Morsi from power and if that didn’t work vote him out of power at the next scheduled election. If Morsi did not give up power after either of these events then a coup would be seen restoring the legitimate government and constitution.  Instead, the military seized the first opportunity to take power once they realized that Morsi was not interested in leading in a democratic fashion. No matter how much this will eventually help out the people of Egypt is was no the proper action to take.

Now we have the lack of American response to the situation, the White House has said little even though they have backed Morsi and the Brotherhood in the past. Nor has the Obama Administration cut off aid to Egypt even though it is required to do so by law. I can’t believe I’m about to say this but I fully agree with Senator McCain we must cut off all aid until the democratic process has been fully returned to Egypt. Cut off all aid until elections are held and the winner of that election has taken power. Not cutting off aid sets a very bad precedent, not only does it show the World that the US is not committed to democracy but only democracy as it sees it, and by not cutting off aid we give the military to do what ever it wants to in another country as well as cementing the military as the supreme leader of Egypt. What is everyone's opinion of the correct course of action?

Further Reading:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your opinion on current issues. Civil posts only!!